On Sunday, September 22nd 2019, we held a charity 5-a-side football tournament at the FDC in Bowthorpe, Norwich, before celebrating into the evening at our local pub The Railway Tavern for food and drinks with live music and another amazing raffle.
Donations included Phillip Browne Menswear, restaurants such as Turtle Bay and The Lodge, as well as a hamper put together by Dereham Leisure Centre including a Suunto 3 fitness watch.
Jason, alongside our close friend and event organiser Joel Brien also auctioned off a signed Norwich City Football Club shirt and a pair of boots signed by midfielder and local Dereham lad, Todd Cantwell.
The reason behind this event was to raise awareness of the impact that the loss of a baby has on fathers. The pressure on men to return back to work, support the mother and move forward quicker is huge and whilst many men wish to use this as a tool for distraction, they are often suffering in silence when it comes to grieving their child. Therefore this matter deserved an event of its own in the hope that men too will be approached and considered in the painful stages that follow such loss, so we are over the moon that through this event we managed to raise as much as we did.
Congratulations to ‘Up the tics’ who took home the well deserved trophy on the day. After such success we are excited to get stuck into organising this years repeat, as we aim to proceed with this event annually. The tournament will always be held locally to Norwich so if you think you can help us out and get involved then please keep your eye out for a post in the lead up to September 2020.
HUGE THANK YOU
- Firstly, to Joel Brien who kindly came up with the idea and put the whole thing together from start to finish.
- FDC Bowthorpe Norwich for providing us with the venue.
- All 9 teams that got involved and committed to the cause.
- The EDP & Dereham Times for plugging the event which you can read here.
- The boys at 4sports for the customised shirts and trophy.
- All organisations/small & large businesses that donated to the raffle.
- Norwich City Football Club for providing a signed shirt for Auction.
- Paul Sandford and all the staff at The Railway Tavern for the evening venue, catering and music.
- Every single person that attended and donated in some way to this event.
- Lastly, for Jason who commits to be open and allowing this event to take place through his honesty.